SELF GUIDED SLOVENIA
& PARENZANA CYCLING
Breathtaking scenery of the Julian Alps with Triglav National Park / Picturesque Lake Bled / Drive across Vršič (1611 m), the highest mountain pass in Slovenia / White water rafting on Soča river / Cycling through Trenta Valley / Visit Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) with a deep underground canyon / Sightseeing of Trieste (Italy), Portorož and lovely Piran / Beautiful Istrian hilltop towns of Motovun and Grožnjan / Cycling on Parenzana Trail / Experience the charming scenery of the Istrian peninsula (Croatia)
A cycling journey from the Julian Alps to the Croatian coast
9-day cycling journey from the high peaks and green valleys of the Julian Alps to the limestone caves of Karst region and further on along a disused railway line of the Parenzana at the Italian, Slovenian and Croatian coast. A carefully designed cycling journey, taking in all of Slovenia’s highlights – from the high peaks of the Julian Alps to the incredible limestone caves and traditional countryside, cycling on an old disused railway line now intended for cyclists, The Parenzana, from Trieste in Italy to Poreč in Croatia.
- Full organisation of the tour.
- Introductory briefing on day 1.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary, transfer timetables and vouchers.
- Maps with marked route.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 8 nights in 3*accommodations, b&b.
- Dinner with wine tasting at a tourist farm.
- White water rafting on Soča river, Bovec.
- 8-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube, repair kit, basic rain jacket, …
- Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) entrance ticket.
- Boat ride ticket Trieste–Muggia.
- Private transfers (4) according to the itinerary.
- Main luggage depot.
- Main luggage transfer from Bled to Poreč.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start/end point of the trip.
- Food and drinks: lunch and dinner on all days and all beverages.
- Luggage transfer between towns – you carry all needed in panniers on days 2-7.
- Items of personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- E-bike upgrade: 30 €/day
- Single supplement: 200 €/person/tour
- You will switch from the hybrid Trek bike to a mtb Trek Marlin 7 (29′) in order to have an enjoyable cycle on the Croatian part of the Parenzana Trail.
- We can organise a private guided group for 4 bikers or more with our experienced and licensed guides. Please, contact us for details.
- Upon your arrival to Ljubljana airport, a private transfer to Bled will be waiting for you.
- Check-in to your accommodation in Bled.
- A short briefing with our staff, where you will receive bikes and booklet with maps and instructions.
- The rest of the day free to explore Bled on your own. You can cycle around the lake to check the bikes, or take a boat ride to the island, visit the breathtaking Vintgar Gorge or over 1000-year-old Bled Castle.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Bled, bed&breakfast.
- First day of cycling will take you through breathtaking Radovna valley towards Mojstrana and further on a former railway route to Kranjska Gora – a small Alpine town, located at the foot of the mighty Julian Alps.
- From Kranjska Gora a private transfer will take you to Trenta valley, across Vršič mountain pass – the highest mountain pass in Slovenia (1611m).
- You will continue cycling through Trenta valley, along the emerald Soča river to the town of Bovec – the adrenaline capital of Slovenia.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Bovec, bed&breakfast.
- In the morning you will go white water rafting on Soča river.
- At the end point of rafting, your bikes will be waiting for you to start this day’s cycling tour. The route will take you through small villages located by the Soča river.
- In the town of Kobarid you will have a chance to stop and visit the well-known WWI Museum, or do a short hike to Kozjak waterfall – one of the most magical waterfalls in Slovenia.
- From Kobarid you will cycle towards Tolmin. In the afternoon you will be able to visit another nature’s wonder – The Great Tolmin Gorge.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Tolmin, bed&breakfast.
- Route continues following the river. You will cycle past well-known Most na Soči and Kanal, from where you will ascend towards well-known Goriška Brda – a region famous for producing some of Slovenia’s finest wines.
- Overnight at a tourist farm in Medana with dinner and wine tasting.
- Accommodation: Tourist farm in Medana, bed&breakfast.
- In the morning a private transfer will take you from Goriška Brda to a small town of Štanjel.
- You will cycle from Štanjel to Škocjan Caves (UNESCO), where you will visit these breathtaking caves, before cycling further on towards Trieste, Italy.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Trieste, bed&breakfast.
- You will take a short boat ride from Trieste to Muggia, where your first day of cycling on the Parenzana Trail will begin.
- Soon you will cross the border with Slovenia and continue along the coast towards the town of Portorož.
- In the afternoon, an optional visit of a small, medieval town of Piran, located on a tiny peninsula.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Portorož, bed&breakfast.
- 35 km | +245m | 3-4 hours
- Tarmac 100%
- Just outside of Portorož, you can stop for a visit of Sečovlje Nature Park – the biggest and the oldest salt pans in Slovenia, where salt is still produced in a traditional way, based on a 700-year-old method.
- After crossing the Croatian border you will cycle on the most scenic part of the Parenzana. The path will take you through medieval hilltop towns of Buje, Grožnjan and Motovun.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Motovun, bed&breakfast.
- Original stage: 52 km | +450m | 5-6 hours | Original Parenzana trail
- Easy: 50 km | +390m | 5-6 hours | Tamrac and good gravel section from Buje to Livade.
- Gravel 80%, Tarmac 20% (Original stage)
- Note: You will change the hybrid Trek bikes for mtb Trek Marlin 7 (29′) for cycle Parenzana trail.
- On your last day of cycling, you will cycle on the last part of Parenzana – from Motovun downhill towards the beautiful coastal town of Poreč.
- Enjoy a relaxing afternoon at the Coast, take a walk on the beach and watch a breathtaking sunset.
- Accommodation: Hotel*** in Poreč, bed&breakfast.
- You will receive back you main luggage in this night’s accommodation.
- 35 km | +180m | 4-5 hour | Original Parenzana trail
- Gravel 70%, Tarmac 30%
- After breakfast your trip concludes.
- A private transfer will pick you up and take you to Ljubljana or Ljubljana airport.
Make it happen.