SELF GUIDED SLOVENIA
Breathtaking scenery of the Julian Alps with Triglav Park / Enjoy Alpine Bohinj Lake / Discover picturesque Lake Bled / Stay in charming pensions run by local people / Picturesque drive across Vršič (1611 m), the highest mountain pass in Slovenia / White Water Rafting on Soča river / Cycling through Trenta Valley – Along the emerald Soča river / Wine tasting dinner in Goriška Brda, a wine growing region bordering Italy / Visit Škocjan Caves (UNESCO) with a deep underground canyon / Sightseeing of Ljubljana – A lively and green capital city
Exploring on two wheels around the western part of Slovenia
10-day cycling holidays in Slovenia, with 8 days of cycling from the Triglav National Park to wine growing Brda hills and further on to the mysterious Karst region, concluding the trip in the capital city of Slovenia – the lovely Ljubljana.
Experiencing the breathtaking scenery of green alpine valleys, clear meandering rivers and majestic mountain peaks. Circling the unspoilt Bohinj Lake, visiting the picturesque Lake Bled and its area, cycling to a well-known ski resort of Kranjska Gora and enjoying a short drive across the highest Slovenian mountain pass at 1611m – Vršič. Cycling through the Trenta Valley along the emerald Soča river all the way to Bovec. Descending down the Soča river on a raft and cycling further along the river towards the magical wine-growing region of Goriška Brda. Enjoying a homemade dinner with wine tasting at a local tourist farm. Visiting the well-known Škocjan Caves, which are under UNESCO heritage and an overnight stay at the Lipica Stables, known for their white Lipizzaner horses. Concluding the trip in the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana. The best way to get in touch with Slovenian culture and local people.
- Full organisation of the tour.
- Introductory briefing on day 1.
- Booklet with detailed itinerary and route instructions, train timetables, vouchers.
- Maps with a marked route.
- Emergency contact number and 24/7 support.
- 9 nights in 3*accommodation, with breakfast.
- Activities: White water rafting on Soča, Bovec.
- 10-day rental of Trek Hybrid bike with 2 side panniers, helmet, lock, pump, spare tube and repair kit.
- Entrance ticket to the Škocjan Caves.
- Private transfer from Ljubljana to Bohinj.
- Private transfers according to the itinerary (2).
- Train tickets: Bohinjska Bistrica–Bled and Nova Gorica–Divača.
- Main luggage depot.
- Main luggage transfer Bohinj–Ljubljana.
- Tourist tax and VAT.
- Travel to the start/end point of the tour.
- Food and drinks, except breakfast.
- Luggage transfer between accommodations (you carry all needed in panniers on days 2–9).
- Items of personal nature.
- Travel Insurance.
- Single supplement: 220 €
- Upgrade with E-bike: 30 €/bike/day
- Luggage transfer between accommodations on all days: 180 €/person (two people in group) or 380 € in total for a large group.
- We can organise a private guided group for 4 bikers or more with our experienced and licensed guides. Please, contact us for details.
- Upon arrival to Ljubljana or Ljubljana airport, you will be transferred to your accommodation in Bohinj, Triglav National Park.
- After check-in, an introductory briefing will be held at the accommodation, where you will receive all needed info and gear.
- Afternoon free to relax, explore the town on foot, cycle around the lake or rent a canoe and explore on water.
- Accommodation at hotel*** in Bohinj, breakfast included.
Bohinj Lake is 2 kilometres wide and 6 kilometres in length, with the path that circles it 12,5 kilometres long. It lies in the centre of the Triglav National Park and occupies a dramatic position surrounded by a spectacular mountain ridge.
We recommend you take a walk (3 hours) or a cycle (approx 1 hour) around the lake for a nice and easy warm-up to your cycling tour.
You can also cycle to Ukanc from where you can choose two options: 1. An easy hike to Savica Waterfall. 2. A cable car ride up to Mt Vogel (1500 m) and enjoy the views of the lake from up above.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bohinj, breakfast included.
This morning you cycle on a pleasant cycling lane between Lake Bohinj and Bohinjska Bistrica, passing small towns en route.
You take a train from Bohinjska Bistrica to Lake Bled and upon arrival, cycle to your accommodation.
After check-in, the day is free for sightseeing. This lovely alpine town is immersed in natural beauty. It is worth hiring a wooden boat or taking traditional Pletna boat ride to visit the Island. If the weather is good it is well worth hiking up to the viewpoint on Osojnica hill, where many of the classic images of Bled lake and castle are taken.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bled, breakfast included.
The first big cycle of the trip takes you from Bled through the Radovna Valley to the Slovenian ski resort town of Kranjska Gora, located near the border with Austria and Italy. The scenery continues to be dramatic as you leave behind Bled and cycle to the northern edge of the range. The majority of the route is uphill with around 340m ascent over the distance, so an early start is recommended.
A scenic cycling route on a former railway line will take you from a small town of Mojstrana to Kranjska Gora, both at the foothills of some of the most majestic Slovenian mountains.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Kranjska Gora, breakfast included.
This day begins with a private transfer across Vršič, at 1611m the highest mountain pass in Slovenia, to a small village of Trenta.
Soča is regarded by many to be one of the most beautiful rivers in Europe. It flows through narrow gorges and over broad gravel beds. The river’s characteristic turquoise hue and the wild beauty of its rapids and ravines make it a wonderful place to explore.
The cycle takes you along the river, right to the town of Bovec, the adventure capital of the Julian Alps.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Bovec, breakfast included.
- After cycling along its banks, today is an opportunity to take in some white water rafting on a section of the Soča river. The best rafting in Slovenia!
- At the drop-off point, your bikes will be waiting for you to continue the cycle via Kobarid to Tolmin, past small towns and villages on the undulating, flat or downhill route.
- You will have an option to stop at Kobarid for a short hike to the Kozjak Waterfall or a visit of the WWI Museum.
- Accommodation at hotel*** in Tolmin, breakfast included.
From Tolmin the route ascends above the valley floor towards the wine region of Brda.
Enroute you pass by the village of Kanal and then ascend sharply to the rolling hills of Brda.
In the evening there will be a wine tasting dinner where you have the opportunity to sample the excellent wines of the region.
Accommodation at hotel*** in Medana, Goriška Brda, breakfast and dinner with wine tasting included.
- From Dobrovo, you continue through the region where small vineyards, orchards of cherry trees and quaint villages intermingle in the landscape.
- Cycle on to the train station at Nova Gorica, where you take the train to Divača and cycle a bit further on mainly flat to slightly undulating roads through the Slovenian Karst region.
- Guided visit of the spectacular Škocjan Caves with a deep underground canyon, a flowing river and unique limestone formations.
- After the visit to the caves, cycle further to nearby Lipica, hometown of the well-known Lipizzaner horses.
- Accommodation at hotel*** in Lipica, breakfast included.
- From Lipica you continue cycling through the Karst region famous for Teran (rich red wine variety typical for the region) and prosciutto.
- Cycle through typical towns such as Sežana, Tomaj and Štanjel, to the train station at Branik where you will be picked up for a transfer to Ljubljana.
- At this point you will receive back your main luggage and will have a chance to repack all from the panniers.
- Bikes and all cycling gear will stay with us and you will now explore the city on foot.
- Accommodation at hotel*** in Ljubljana, breakfast included.
- The trip concludes after breakfast.
- You will have transfer to the Ljubljana airport arranged in time for your flight.
- You may also choose to extend your stay in Ljubljana for further sightseeing of the lively Slovenian capital. In this case transfer to Ljubljana airport can be arranged on a later date.
Make it happen.